ze_harry_potter version 3 (final)

Skoollz

Some already hear or noticed that we might going to do one revamp of my harry potter map because its still highly requested and people won't leave me freaking alone about it...... lol
The current version has problems too I noticed when we played it earlier on Nide, but since its been a long time ive mapped, I asked on discord for some help and I see that a lot of other people are willing to help me out with this, including a few mappers have offered help, I appriciate it, s
o, I've sort of decided that I might collaborate with these mappers to create a version 3. I'll definitely reach out to them when the time comes.

The purpose of this topic is to provide a space for people to share bugs and ideas related to the map.
I'll return here to review and decide what to do. Please feel free to use this topic for collaboration and sharing, as long as it remains focused on the map and avoids any drama.

I won't rush this project and will take my time since I also need to balance it with my programming work, spending time with friends, and playing other games.
However, a version 3 will eventually become a reality. If any of your ideas are incorporated, you will be appropriately credited.

Thanks to everyone enjoying the map, reporting bugs, sharing ideas and so on!
Without this collaboration, we would miss out on many useful things.

Stay awesome.

• Like 3
  • Super 1

• Event Manager

Stage 6 Boss:

• Allow a ZM to become Voldemort the same way a CT becomes Harry.
  • The ZM should be able to interact with the wand the same way Harry does, allowing both players to spam E to fight over. This would allow the Harry player to be more rewarded by out spamming the enemy and getting the bonus damage from the wand connecting to Voldemort.
  • Allow the ZM to input commands for the attack which then relays to Harry inputting the command to deflect it. A set of combos should appear indicating which attack the ZM can choose and input.
  • If no ZM decides to become Voldemort, however, start the boss fight like it does normally.

As a 12-star winner of this map I feel that ZM stages need to be either reworked to be more dynamic or more fair for the zombies. However, this will come with a downside of not having a proper break between stages. That means I'm kinda split on this.
Balance-wise, the final boss of stage 12 (the one before the door closes) can be tweaked to have reduced hp, so it will be just slightly easier than it is in v2.

• Event Manager
9 minutes ago, Sticky said:

As a 12-star winner of this map I feel that ZM stages need to be either reworked to be more dynamic or more fair for the zombies. However, this will come with a downside of not having a proper break between stages. That means I'm kinda split on this.
Balance-wise, the final boss of stage 12 (the one before the door closes) can be tweaked to have reduced hp, so it will be just slightly easier than it is in v2.

I agree with the ZM stages. Although it is very open and has many different areas, the "secret" areas are too easy for humans and offer little to no skill for humans and leave no opportunities for zombies. It ends up being one big funnel in the secret area and afk'ing for 5 min.

I have sort of another idea to do for ZM mode, and if I remember correctly I was working on a voting system (yoinked from minigame map lmao) where people could stand on platform A or B, then whichever reaches "top vote" will be chosen. Where then A for example means: continue with ZM mode (the improved), or B: skip ZM mode and go to next stage. This would all happen at the same timing where no human will be killed or round will be reset, after voting people be sent to the selected stage. But this is just an idea in my mind for now. I think I also still have the vmf to that voting stage. Will probably go on discord once in voice again and stream some stuff so people get an idea of things. Might help collaboration as well.

For boss control, I will see how and what is possible. But nothing is promised for that.
Also there has been the idea to take/make best of both normal/extreme stages and just release version 3 with only 6 stages so it can be played on regular rotation as well, and would also meanwhile consume less time to complete. 12 stages is nice but a bit too much. The "secret" stage (hue) will also stay but change a little as well.

Edited by Skoollz

My recommendation would be porting the map to TF2 or CS2 instead (if even possible). It would get much more appreciation there. The last source community that actively played the map (few times a month) died in 2022. Even if you release a v3, it's unlikely that Nide would play it more than 2-3 times a year. This coming from a person who already tried to promote the map on the server once.

The gameplay is great as is, but yeah, you should collapse the map into 6 stages. A lot of folks don't like the map because it's 2:30-3h long. Also, keep the ZM stage. That one is a nice touch to the map. Maybe just enable the ZM items or block some of the cheesy defense spots to improve the ZM experience. 

As far as bugs that I am aware of:

• The map sometime crashes on source (haven't seen that on GO) when too many items are used simultaneously
  • The 4th stage sometime bugs where a player with Hat/Owl takes the broom/egg item, it automatically activates the trigger to kill all humans despite carrier being alive. I've seen that on GO, I don't remember if it happened in Source
  • There are spots where Avada can nuke all zombies, if activated at the right time before the TP
  • On stage 6/12, the Harry key-combo sometimes doesn't show up, when actively shooting the boss. Something to do with hit-box plugins. I don't remember if this was happening on specific servers only though

Cheers

Thanks for that feedback.
Thought, I do not know how to port maps, never tried it. But could be a possibility perhaps.
But I did get a lot of other mappers willing to help with things, so maybe there is some fellas in there who can guide me thru this process, maybe even a possible CS:GO port (cause I did hear from others the current GO port kinda sucks as well?). We will have to see when V3 is complete.

I also believe the map would be played a bit more often (v3 at least - i hope, lol..) as we are going to try make this map in a way where it can be put in normal voting rotation, cause like you already mention, the map is just too long as it is right now, its good for events but thats about it. Hopefully v3 with reduced stage count will avoid this.
For ZM stage I got some ideas, including a "possible" voting stage where players can decide themselves if they want to "skip" or "continue".
I also might change the entire area to be more looking like the quidditch arena from the movies. Def. going to need to do changes here caue right now as you already said the ZM stage experience can be done better.

Keep that bugs list in your comment please, we are aware of them but just in case I forget something.
The gameplay will be different compared to v2_1, because I removed all entity work and I will redo this from scratch, including the items, wizard mode etc etc, so hopefully those bugs will be gone as well.

• 4 months later...

Found a solution to continue with the map.
It will be at a slower speed though since my recent eye problems and bright light sensitivity issues but yeah, just a heads up for those interested.
There is still a lot of work so don't expect a test that soon, but hopefully not that long either!

• Like 2
  • Homiekiss 4

• Server Admin

last time i played harry popper i was shit faced 

That being said, i thought it was great 

• Haha 1

• CS:S ZE Lead Server Admin
4 hours ago, Tex said:

last time i played harry popper i was shit faced 

That being said, i thought it was great 

Youre always shit faced these days, admit it

• Haha 1

• Server Admin
On 1/18/2024 at 6:57 PM, stickyclicker said:

Youre always shit faced these days, admit it

lololol its the cold weather man, its depressing 

• Super 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have played ze_harry_porter. It was very interesting map.

I'm imagining a merged version of ze_harry_porter map with ze_pirates_port_royal and other castle maps for 64/64 Players.

It would be amazing 🤩

Harry Potter School GIF by WBGames

15 hours ago, A-Rex said:

I have played ze_harry_porter. It was very interesting map.

I'm imagining a merged version of ze_harry_porter map with ze_pirates_port_royal and other castle maps for 64/64 Players.

It would be amazing 🤩

Problem is that mergin that would nearly be impossible because of the map sizes and the limitations within the game itself (and hammer probably too)
But yeah the idea is nice nonetheless 😛
Aldo I wish my map would look a bit better as well, it doesnt really look like harry potter aside from some things which I found sad but I am not that great with designing maps, I am more the entity guy 😄 I blame Devious he was good at design but gave up so fast 😞 Soon I have free time again and I can map more again, hopefully I can finish this thing and be done with it hue

• Like 1